OpenLDAP MinGW Compilation + OpenSSL/TLS

I’ve built OpenLDAP 2.2.5 using MinGW on Windows with no issues, however I’m now trying to integrate OpenSSL 0.9.7c and have hit a snag.  I compiled OpenSSL using both a Cygwin/MinGW combination and using MinGW standalone, and both methods worked fine.  The problem is that using a Cygwin/MinGW combination, the compilation will not output shared libraries.  Using MinGW standalone, shared libraries are built, but in dll form.  The OpenLDAP configure script is not able to probe these dlls to find the function defs it’s looking for, so autoconf aborts.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what method I might be able to take to get configure to accept the MinGW built libraries?

Thanks,

Jason