Choice Of Authentications a) using SASL directly b) using SASL th ru LDAP

Hi All

 I have a project where I want to to use standards based SASL mechnisms. I
want to use SASL/GSSAPI/Kerberos V mechanisms. My KDC can be windows(AD) or
Sun (SEAM) or MIT (KDC)
I am in a fix becase I am not able to understand which way to go any why. I
have a set of 2 choices.
a) Use SEAM as just an authticating mechnism and use GSSAPI/Kerberos without
even involving LDAP.
b) Use SASL-LDAP bind as a mechanism for authentication.

What are the pros and cons of each method.
Please explain because I have been trying to get this fundamental answer
since many days.

--Vikas