Re: How to think in schemas?

>[snip]
>> > For example, in an RDB with "people" data, you might fully normalize the
>> > schema so that there is one and only one record for a household's
>> > address, and then associate each person that lives at that address as
>> > separate records with a foreign key to the address record.  Or,
>> > depending on needs, you might denormalize that design, so that each
>> > person's record includes its own copy of the address data.
>> Totally irrelevant;  LDAP is not a relational database.  If you need a
>> relational model with constraints and foriegn keys, etc... use a
>> relational database.
>I think the unspoken question here is, obviously, "what are the important
>and useful tradeoffs in designing X.500-like schemas?  What are some good
>ways of thinking about directory object classes?"
>> > If you didn't know anything at all about RDBs, you could find many books
>> > and other references that cover issues like that for RDBs.  Probably
>> > none to few cover similar issues for ldap schemas.
>> I wouldn't expect them too.
>Books on RDBs, no.  But has no one ever written a book on directories
>which discusses schema design issues?
>(Now, if only I had answers to these questions!)

McGraw Hill's Understanding and Deploying LDAP Directories with the
picture of the suspension bridge on the front.  The first edition is tan,
the new one (saw it on Amazon) look like it is blue.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672323168/qid=1075222069//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl14/102-1748758-6408160?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I'm told that

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020178792X/qid=1075222069//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl14/102-1748758-6408160?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

is also good, but I've never seen a copy.

The McGraw Hill book is an absolute must read.