Re: Remote LDAP server

--On Friday, January 23, 2004 4:59 PM -0500 Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 13:54, Adam Williams wrote:
> You are only sending a
> few 1K at most over the DSL line. Even at 768K return, it should be a
> reasonable speed. How responsive is the FreeBSD server for local LDAP
> queries. For example, when you do a ls -la from /home? Does it lookup
> uid/gid information in a timely fashion.

Make sure you have nscd enabled.

Excuse the ignorance, what is nscd, is that Netsaints Console Monitor? What does it do? But I have no nscd process running.

nscd is a caching daemon that caches certain lookups (man nscd). There are alternatives to nscd that can also be investigated.

System Administration Commands nscd(1M)

NAME
    nscd - name service cache daemon

SYNOPSIS
    /usr/sbin/nscd     [-f configuration-file]      [-g]      [-
    e cachename, yes | no]  [-i cachename]

DESCRIPTION
    nscd is a process that provides a cache for the most  common
    name  service requests. It starts up during multi-user boot.
    The default configuration-file /etc/nscd.conf determines the
    behavior of the cache daemon. See nscd.conf(4).

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems ITSS/TSS/Infrastructure Operations Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html