Re: stable releases

At 02:07 PM 1/21/2004, Medievalist wrote:
>Stable clearly means different things to different folks.

That's why we explicitly define what we mean by the term
(and, in every stable release announcement, provide a reference
to that definition).

>Wouldn't it be easier to ask a distributor (say Red Hat) to create new .rpms
>than to read (much less answer) the eighty bazillion "why doesn't my OpenLDAP work" posts their standard packages engender?

You make the assumption that if we were to ask, that 1)
they would be provided in a timely fashion and 2) users would
actually upgrade in a timely fashion.  I don't think either
can be expected to be true in general, especially given 1)
most 3rd party packagers are volunteers and 2) users are
quite unlikely to upgrade unless they experience problems
(and even then, they'll ask before upgrading).

But, regardless, any packager who does not want to
"stay tuned in" free can just to update on announcement.

Kurt