able to connect to LDAP server with perl, but not ldapsearch

I've installed openldap on a debian woody box and am able to query slapd from
perl scripts and webmin, but ldapsearch returns ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server.
I've configured /etc/pam_ldap.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf, and /etc/libnss-ldap.conf, but getent passwd only
looks at /etc/passwd.

I'm running slapd in debug mode and it doesn't see the ldapsearch connect attempt.

I've linked /etc/ldap/slapd.conf to /etc/ldap/ldap.conf just in case I'm missing something.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jeffrey Marans.