From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Quanah
Gibson-Mount
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 10:10 PM
To: Micah Anderson; openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: growth pains, ldbm or bdb?

--On Friday, January 16, 2004 11:27 PM -0600 Micah Anderson
<micah@riseup.net> wrote:

> We've been merrily going about our way with our
> pam/courier/postfix/nss ldap implementation using ldbm, until recently

> when things started to get nasty. I dont know if we reached a growth
> point, or if we have some internal datastructure corruption, but our
> slapd keeps dying on us, and I am guessing that our ldbm files get
> corrupted when the machine crashes (I run db3_recover on them
> afterwards, but it always is pretty nondescript messages:
> db_recover: Recovery complete at Fri Jan 16 21:19:18 2004
> db_recover: Maximum transaction id 80000000 Recovery checkpoint [0][0]

> making me feel like nothing is happening).
>
> So, I'm wondering if we should be switching back-ends to better deal
> with the increased load (we add 10-20 new accounts a day, and have
> over 4,000 now churning several hundred thousand messages a day
> incoming (each is a ldap lookup!) and pop/imap connections ranging
> from about 90,000 a day (each one is an ldap lookup!), does one or the

> other scale better? Have I hit the upper limit with ldbm?
>
> Anyways, I am sure someone has written a document about which one you
> should chose for what scenarios, and maybe a tuning document for each?

> If so I would be eternally grateful if someone might point this out to

> me (or offer any suggestions!).

Micah,

This always seems to be an open debate, but...

We use BDB here at Stanford.  We have 9 replica's.  3 are dedicated
entirely to mail delivery.  They handle between 333k and 500k request
*each* every day (so 1 mil to 1.5 mil requests a day).  We've never had
any
DB corruption.  Our environment is modified much more heavily than
yours...
The other 6 handle web authorizations, general lookup information, and
posixAccount (NIS replacenet) ldap queries for the general campus.  At
this
time, we are very over-scoped hardware wise. ;)

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer