Linux install problem

I untarred the OpenLDAP 2.2 distribution into a /usr/local/openldap
directory on my RedHat 7.0 system and tried to run configure.  This is all
that happened:

[root@ren openldap]# configure
: command not found
Copyright 1998-2003 The OpenLDAP Foundation. All rights reserved.
        Restrictions apply, see COPYRIGHT and LICENSE files.
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
'/configure: line 162: syntax error near unexpected token `in
'/configure: line 162: `  case X$UNAME in

Any ideas why configure doesn't work on this brand on Linux?  I have the
exact same problem with the OpenLDAP 2.1 distribution, as well.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Rob