From: Medievalist [mailto:ldap@hbcs.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 11:52 AM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: Had enough of this

Ace, I appreciate your posts, even though you are only slightly more
knowledgeable about LDAP than I am.  You often start discussions with OpenLDAP
users and developers that reveal functions I didn't know about, or
misunderstandings that I didn't realize I had.

I like Howard Chu's posts, too.  When Howard says "RTFM" he gives a pointer to
the FM; his brevity is not insulting, it's efficient.  I don't know if his
fiddle chops are any good, though, so I'll have to buy a CD and find out :).
Some other people's RTFM posts I find less delightful.

If all the effort that was put into the dozens of "unofficial" OpenLDAP howtos
on the net had been co-ordinated, in a TWiki (http://www.twiki.org) or in the
fashion that you yourself proposed, the OpenLDAP documentation would probably
be superb.  Recent efforts in the FAQ-O-Matic are *much* appreciated (thank you
guys!) but a FAQ doesn't help with "seldomly asked questions".

The fact that the nss_ldap and pam_ldap documentation is light-years worse than
the OpenLDAP doco doesn't help either.  Most people need all three to work...

--Charlie

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.

This mail message originated outside Commerzbank via the Internet. As a result, the sender's address is not verifiable.

This communication is confidential and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of the information and you are requested to notify Commerzbank Aktiengesellschaft, New York Branch immediately that you have received it and then to destroy the copy in your possession.  Views expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the views of Commerzbank AG.