RE: BDB corruption on every unclean shutdown

Howard,

> If you want to avoid this hassle, in OpenLDAP 2.2 you can configure
back-bdb
> to use shared memory instead of files, that way no stale locks will
remain
> after a system crash.

I am a little curious about this.  Aside from stale locks not remaining
after a system crash, what are other benefits on using this over
memory-mapped files?  Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this
decision have to be made at database creation time and can not be changed
afterwards without recreating the database?  Is it possible to only specify
that only the locking subsystems uses shared-memory and that the other
subsystems use memory-mapped files?

Darin Broady
dbroady@lexmark.com
Lexmark International, Inc.