Backend authentication

I have read-only access to a "master" LDAP server, but don't have the
authority to create objects or extend the schema of the LDAP server.  I plan
to setup my own local LDAP server (OpenLDAP 2.1.22).  However, I would like
to utilize the "master" server for authentication purposes so that when
users change their "master" password they can still log into my local LDAP

Is this possible?

Ideally I would prefer to setup a "shadow" system: if an object has a value
in the local server then use that, otherwise lookup the value in the
"master" server.  Again, is this possible?

  Simon Oliver