session management

Hi,
  I need some information on session management
capabilities in openldap. I have set-up openldap
server and clients. Now, what do I do if I need to
check the session stats like total time user was
logged on to system, session timeout ( if a user is
idle for some amount of time the session should get
closed automatically etc.)

 Or, shall I use any of the pam modules to achive
this? PAM session management modules only log the
login and logoff events. What about time outs?? could
I define it somewhere and have a proper ldap solution?

any idea??