[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Initial 2.2.4 exploration results

I've put together our development environment using OpenLDAP 2.2.4.

This environment consists of 2 Netra 1405's (multi-processor) with multiple HD's.

The installed software items are:

OpenSSL 0.9.7b
Cyrus Sasl 2.1.17
BDB 4.2.52
Heimdal 0.6
OpenLDAP 2.2.4

These were all compiled with GCC3.

My usual load test:

30 servers querying the replica. The queries are done via ldapsearch, which does a GSSAPI bind, filters on uid for a maildrop, and then unbinds.

The uid's involved fall into 3 cases:
uid exists, has maildrop
uid exists, doesn't have maildrop
uid doesn't exist

I've been running this test against various OpenLDAP releases since approximately 2.1.12.

The last test I ran against 2.1.23 resulted in a 55 queries/second answer rate.

The current test I ran against 2.2.4 resulted in a 110 queries/second answer rate.

However, I need to run this load test against the current 2.1 series where it is using BDB 4.2.52 instead of BDB 4.1.x.

I also set up syncRepl. I've found that quite often, the replica never shuts down when using syncRepl, and instead the server hangs indefinately. The only way out of this situation is a kill -9, and then a db_recover. So, I cannot see that this feature is production ready at this time (slapd has been waiting for threads to "terminate" for over 30 minutes as I write this).

I've also had one case under syncRepl that changes made to the master didn't end up in the master's DB when the replica had been attached, then de-attached, and the BDB ended up being corrupted, causing me to have to run db_recover before the master would work again, and having to re-add the changes.


Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer
ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems
ITSS/TSS/Infrastructure Operations
Stanford University
GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html