Re: "namin attribute 'cn' is not present in entry' problen -can it be solved?

john paul writes:
> when using the (good old) 2.0 openldap ,
> I created objects which did not had the 'cn' attribute.
> Now I had tried to test  2.1.25 openldap.
> When I try to create objects which did not had the 'cn' attribute
> I get the  LDAP Exception with the follwoing error message:
> "naming attribute 'cn' is not present in entry"

That was a bug in OpenLDAP 2.0.  It's fixed now.

It's not 'cn' in particular which must be present, though.
The attributes in the entry's RDN - its 'naming attributes' -
must be present in the entry.  That is, if you have
an entry named uid=zxcjohn,dc=hotmail,dc=com, then
the value uid: zxcjohn must be present in the entry.

> Is there a way (like in a change in the schemas)
> in which I can create objects in
> the new openldap (2.1.25) without
> the 'cn' attribute as I did in the 2.0.* openldap?

Sorry, no.

--
Hallvard