Re: LDAP Authorization from Apache

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Kannan Sivasankaran wrote:

> Hi
> I am tring to get my apache directory authenticated by LDAP.

[snip]

> But when I "hardcoded" my username and password in the httpd.conf file its
> getting authenticated. The dialog box for username and password entry also
> not appearing.
> This how I "hardcoded" my username and password
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName LDAP
> AuthLDAPAuthoritative on
> AuthLDAPURL "ldap://10.10.1.125/ou=ustr_in,o=ustr?cn??(objectClass=*)"
> AuthLDAPBindDN cn=A354T1200,ou=ustr_in,o=ustr
> AuthLDAPBindPassword helloall
> require valid-user

[snip]

> Anybody have any idea in the first case why the request string to LDAP
> server not getting correctly?

The AuthLDAPBindDN and BindPassword attributes cause auth_ldap to bind to
your LDAP directory as a non-anonymous user. In their absence, auth_ldap
binds anonymously. Therefore, I suspect that your ACLs are not allowing
anonymous binds from your Apache server, or are not allowing anonymous
auth against the userPassword attribute and anonymous read against the
cn attribute in the desired DIT branch.

If you are truly using auth_ldap and not mod_auth_ldap, I commend the
auth_ldap docs to your attention:

http://www.rudedog.org/auth_ldap/1.6/auth_ldap.html

as well as the auth_ldap mailing list:

If not, I'm sure that there is similar available for mod_auth_ldap at
httpd.apache.org or thereabouts.

--
Kirk Turner-Rustin
Programmer/Analyst