RE: Answering frequently asked questions

I agree.  I'll add to it, in 2+ years, I still can't figure it out.

Sticking points were/are:

(1) Generating CERTS (you mean the comment / common name is *extremely* important?)
(2) what does what and how?
(a) pam?
(b) gssapi?
(c) kerberos?
(3) how to know *what* you're supposed to do.

Basically, one can get an individual component of the entire whole and fiddle with it - and perhaps
even get this single component to compile (!!) and perhaps even do something.  But how does one
combine the parts?  How does one combine the parts and yet be able to test each component?

I've seen docs that say "follow this magic recipe to the letter and you'll have a working system"...
well, it might have worked for the author - or the working system might be what the author needs,
but if you change any one thing - it breaks, etc.

Better/proper error codes... that perhaps reference a correct manual or faq or url or ANYTHING.

Should one really have to be a kernel coder just to install this app?

A document that does this would be great:

(1) Here's how to compile/install/configure openldap.
(2) Here's how to use/test/break/unbreak openldap
(3) Here's an example how to integrate this system into
(a) sun/solaris password/group/netgroup/automount/motd
(b) micros*  active directory!!!
(c) tru64 password/group/netgroup/automount/motd
(d) redhat/suse password/group/netgroup/automount/motd
(e) freebsd password/group/netgroup/automount/motd
(f) OSX password/group/netgroup/automount/motd
(g) otherOS  otherFile
(4) Here's how to get/compile/configure kerberos
(a) here's why you'd want to use MIT
(b) here's why you'd want to use heimdal
(5) Here's how to use/test/break/unbreak kerberos
(6) Here's an example how to integrate kerberos into
(a) sun/solaris password
(b) etc
(7) Here's how to combine kerberos and openldap

I'm sure I'll be told that kerberos is not appropriate for this list, blah blah blah.

You know, I use to live out west where the phone company was "US West" -
perhaps the worst phone company around.  I had a 25 phone lines from my
apartment to a 66 punch down at the dmark and US West had a 66 punch-down
at the dmark, but my contractor wouldn't link 12 inches from my 66 punchdown
to the US West one, and vice versa... each claimed it was the other's responsibility.

I can't write docs like the above, because I haven't ever been able to get a
working system... by the time I get anything working - the underlying code
has changed and I basically have to start from scratch.

Basically, with old SunOS, you could read a single man page, and turn on
NIS.  With NIS+, you had to jump through a bunch of hoops, but for a flat
hierarchy, it was mostly painless.  For LDAP?   You either get something
pre-configured by someone else that works, or you hire out to get it done.

I don't want to go on and on rehashing what appears to be well known...
but I could.  It would be all too easy.

Scott