Re: New admin is flailing wildly

Hi,

On Sunday 21 December 2003 18:24, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I'm using OpenLDAP 2.1.23 on a FreeBSD server.  Its primary mission is to
> replace the old NIS service that authenticated multiple hosts, and at that,
> it's working perfectly; it's fast, works great on Linux and FreeBSD, and is
> as stable as it needs to be.
>
> Now I'm running into a brick wall, though.  I have two databases on the
> system:
>
>     dc=honeypot,dc=net : Serves passwd, services, hosts to the LAN
>
>     dc=strauser,dc=com : I want to use this to host a network-wide shared
>                          address book.
>
> When I set the system up over a year ago, using OpenLDAP 2.0.x, I could use
> Ximian's Evolution as a client to search, view, add, and edit entries.
> After migrating to OpenLDAP 2.1 and upgrading Evolution a few times, I can
> no longer authenticate the address book client, and I'm limiting to only
> searching and viewing the address book.
>
> I'll be honest: at this point, I've RTFM and Googled so much that I'm
> starting to thrash about aimlessly.  I don't know how to troubleshoot the
> setup, let alone guess what may be wrong with it.  My first question, then,
> is whether anyone else is using Evolution and OpenLDAP for non-anonymous
> access?

I do not use Ximian Evolution, but from what I gathered from the mailing
list I think the problem is that Evolution uses LDAPv2 which OpenLDAP
2.1.x forbids by default.

You can enable slapd's LDAPv2 cmpatibility in slpad.conf
(I do not have the corect command at hand)

Peter

--
Peter Marschall
eMail: peter@adpm.de