Re: Answering frequently asked questions

fre, 19.12.2003 kl. 02.43 skrev Ace Suares:

> I don't like the faq. It's structure does not lead people to the right place
> very easy. That's because if you start in, you have no idea in what category
> your answer will be. A traditional faq is much more searchable. Maybe a
> wikiwiki might be usefull, I don't know.
>
> If ever I send something to the list that others consider usefull, please add
> it to the FAQ because I won't. I never use the FAQ (unless someone sends me a
> link straight to the article or google shows me how to go there).
>
> I don't want to be negative, but the FAQ s*cks. Especially for ACL's.

I find myself agreeing with Ace, right up to the dots on the eyes and
the crosses on the tees, yet again. It didn't use to be that way. Hey,
Ace, what's up man?

I know there's been a lot of work done on the FAQ, mostly by Kurt.
Perhaps an index or search mechanism might help - don't know whether
that's possible with Faq-O-Matic. I still get the best answers to
questions by searching through the list postings on my harddisk
(severely curtailed by my having wiped out everything before May last).

As for contributing to the FAQ, I did once and a person who shall be
nameless rapped me so hard over the knuckles in a private mail, that I
shall take good care before ever doing so again.

I agree with Ace that especially ACLs should be given their own
document/man page. Pierangelo's and Kurt's recent ACL suggestions in
postings have left me breathless - the worst thing is, that both assumed
that mortals should know what they were talking about - or where it was
documented (*DO NOT REFER TO 'man(5) slapd.access', 'man(5) slapd.conf'
or the Admin html doc*). Since both are main authors of the Openldap
suite, it would be reasonable for both to understand what they were
talking about. And no, I can't contribute to docs, because I don't know
what they were talking about.

I'm full of admiration for Openldap, the power users on this list and a
huge protagonist of them all, don't get me wrong.

--Tonni

--
mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://billy.demon.nl