LDIF, Schema confused

Hi,

I am new to openldap so need your help and guidance to
move in the right path.

I read the documentation and all, but in the end quiet
confused regarding the architecture on which it
stands. I am able to configure and run. May be I
missed proper guidance or may be I have taken wrong
direction so need your help.

I read about LDIF, but don't understand why we need
it. What is written in documents is that its a format,
but why we use it in ldapadd nothing about it.

In Quick start guide there is a mention of "bdb" as
datatbase type but on red hat 8.0 it uses "ldbm" and
on mentioning "bdb" it gives error while starting
"Unknown Type".

How to add entries. For eg. under Organization I want
to add a schema for Group(contains group name and user
info) and Users (first, last name, username, password,
email, phone,memberofgroup) which will be used by all
the entries that I add in the Groups and Users. How to
define that schema. So that using ldapadd I can add
entries.

It will be great if somebody can provide a quick
guidance to this strifing kid.

Thanks & Best Regards