RE: stable?

That's actually a very interesting set of comments Tony.  We're considering going to Redhat Enterprise if budget allows.  It's nice to hear a testimony of the quality of the product.  Are folks running WS, ES, or AS?  I was considering WS for our servers since according to RedHat the kernel should be the same as ES but it doesn't have the older version of OpenLDAP which we'd replace by compiling our own anyway.  Thanks!

Jamey

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Tony Earnshaw
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 6:19 AM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: stable?

tor, 11.12.2003 kl. 14.39 skrev Andreas:

> > the RH arguments for running a supported system. Must say I'm enormously
> > impressed with ES3 - after having done 'rpm -e --nodeps' to the Openldap
> > bit and compiling and installing proper stuff.
>
> Don't you loose all the "advantages" of ES3 when doing that? Certification,
> support, etc. After all, openldap can be considered nowadays a core library,
> a lot of applications link against it.

I suppose so, to a limited degree. I've seen from a previous posting of
yours that you're heavily into Linux distros, but as far as I'm
concerned as a sysadmin/mailadmin there are tremendous advantages to
configuring one's own services - in many though not nearly all cases.
Openldap 2.1.25 with BDB support is one of them, Postfix snapshot with
LDAP-based smtp AUTH support is another. I've kicked off UW-IMAP too,
and installed my own Courier 2.2.0.

The Openldap client libraries are backward compatible and ES3 goes on
supporting LDAP auth for all services - whether it's through 2.0.27 or
2.1.25.

Just ask Quanah - or other Solaris power users - whether the Solaris
support is refused if Openldap is used instead of Sun's offering.

My basic admiration for ES3 is that it really is a grown-up OS for
servers - and I say that after many years as a sysadmin using
proprietary Unix brands.

Best,

--Tonni

--