Re: sasl version mismatch: 2.1.15 vs 2.1.17

Igor Brezac wrote:
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Andreas wrote:

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:16:13PM -0800, Howard Chu wrote:

As an example, BDB 4.1.17 changed its db_open API and added an additional
parameter in the middle of the parameter list. The API is completely
incompatible with what came before it, but the minor version is still the
same. The version number is > 4.0 so we should be happy with it, from a

DB format changes complicate matters even further.

This is an example of a vendor (Sleepycat) who doesn't care about incompatible
changes between minor release. Bad cat :)

With this type of vendor one cannot rely on the soname (if it contains only
the major version) at all. That's why I asked if cyrus-sasl had such behaviour
in the past.

What vendor?  There is no such thing.  I am not sure where you are going
with this rant.  The software you are talking about is contributed to the
community for free.  Sure it is not perfect, but it is very good and
getting better.  You can make it better.  All all these projects welcome
quality contributions.

This is a common reply to complaints about this feature or that quality issue in open source software, but the truth of the matter is that a few dozen people are capable of fixing this and a few thousand people use the product. I am personally highly dependent on the quality and consistency of the open source softwares I use, and I am completely, 100% incapable of coding an improvement or a bugfix. There is no reasonable evaluation of my job description that implies I should be able to fix one of these problems, but the vendor (Sleepycat) should be able to keep up a consistent and stable product. BerkeleyDB is a fine product and widely used, so my issue's not really with them. My issue is with the mailing list mindset that prompts replies of "if you don't like it, fix it yourself". "Bad cat :)" does not constitute a "rant".

--

John Beamon
Systems Administrator