Re: attributes with empty values

Hi,

On Sunday 07 December 2003 19:35, Ace Suares wrote:
> > > Ans is the only way to effect an 'empty' valued attribute, to remove
> > > the attribute fromt he entry ? I believe it works that way, but I'd
> > > like confirmation.
> >
> > This is the way that I have understood LDAP:
> > Attribute values have to be non-empty and unique with regard to the
> > attribute's EQUALITY matching rule.
> > Empty attribute values simply do not exist.
>
> Thanks, Peter, and Jeff too.
>
> I've never even thought of having attributes with an empty value, until I
> stumbled upon the ldap_modify thing described in an earlier mail.
>
> Does anyone else see the distinction in ldap_modify and ldap_delete as a
> problem, or are there ways to do it 'in one go' ?

I have never programmed PHP, so I cannot tell if the PHP ldap_delete()
function is apropriate for deleting attribute values.

I have heard of a port of the Perl module perl-ldap to PHP.
I was told it was in PEAR (I assume this is the equivalent to CPAN for PHP)

Since in Perl perl-ldap allows the deletion of some/all attribute values
together with other modfications in one LDAP modify operation I guess the PHP
port will be capable of that too.

Peter

PS: Concerning my previous mail I stand corrected.

--
Peter Marschall
eMail: peter@adpm.de