Re: Problem adding entries via ldapadd, OpenLDAP2-2.1.4-26 (SuSE Linux 8 install)

Assuming the following is your problem:

> adding new entry "uid=root,ou=People,dc=my-domain,dc=org"
> > ldapadd: update failed: uid=root,ou=People,dc=my-domain,dc=org
> > ldap_add: No such object (32)
> >         matched DN: dc=my-domain,dc=org

we can be rather sure that the "dc=my-domain,dc=org" entry is OK.  After
that one, you need an entry which sounds like:

dn: ou=People, dc=my-domain,dc=org
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organizationalUnit
ou: People
dc: my-domain

Mark the fact that ou is an attribute of organizationalUnit.  My
mistake.

Once you've passed that step, you can start adding the other entries...

kr,

Raf

PS.  Just in theory:

you're making a organizationalUnit.  A unit that is a smaller part of a
organization.  Logically seen, you'd want to have something like:

o=subdomain, dc=my-org, dc=org

(o == organization)
and under that:

ou=People; o=subdomain, dc=my-org, dc=org.
(ou == organizationalUnit)

But it's just a way of organizing stuff.  How you do it, does not really
matter...