bdb-back install problems - Permission denied

I have problems on getting OpenLDAP to run with bdb on a clean Suse 9.0

I created a slapd.conf with:

database	bdb
directory	/var/ldap/test
mode		600

created directory /var/ldap/test and chown to ldap:ldap and chmod to 0600

but when starting slapd I receive the following log-entries:
bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
bdb_db(dc=minati,dc=de): /var/ldap/test/__db.001: Permission denied
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: Permission denied (13)
backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (13)

I tried to change the directory rights to whatever (root, 777) but that
doesn't solve the problem.

Does anyone discovered the same problem, because I couldn't find anything on
that topic in the archives or am I just missing the obvious?

Thanks for any help,

Mario Minati

Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
Version: AVK 14.0.62 from 14.11.2003