Re: Intro and question

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:32:59PM -0800, Steve Chan wrote:
> 	We'd like to have information like usernames, uids, GECOS and password
> hashes common across all systems. But home directory, path to shells and
> default GID's will be different.

On unix like systems you can create symblic links to the shell and
home directories.

/bin/loginshell -> /bin/sh or /bin/bash or /bin/zsh or
			/usr/local/bin/*sh ...

so you have to fill loginShell attribute with "/bin/loginshell" in
the central LDAP.  Home directories are bit more difficult.  If
you have for example /home/$U/$USERNAME like pathes -- $U can be
the firs few character of the username (let it be 1 now) -- on
some systems, you may use /h/$U/$USERNAME in the central LDAP, and
have a /h symlink to the root of your home directory tree.

/h -> ../home
/home/a/andrew
/home/g/gedeon
/home/j/julia

On systems, that have no home directory hashes:

/h -> ../home
/home/a -> .
/home/g -> .
/home/j -> .
/home/andrew
/home/gedeon
/home/julia

This is not really an out-of-the-box answer, but needs litle
effort to make it work.

--
HTH
bSanyI