userPassword not SINGLE-VALUE ?

Hi,

maybe a stupid question, but in what schema is the userPassword attribute
defined ?

I am using

core.schema
cosine.schema
nis.schema
qmail.schema

and my own schema,

but in noe of them is userPassword defined. (It's defined in core.schema and
cosine.schema, but for some reason commented out).

I am asking this, because I tried to add userPassword as a Multi Valued
attribute, and it worked (i.e. I seem to have an entry which has two
userPasswords now).

My questions:

- where is attibutetype userPassword defined ?
- is attribute userPassword meant to be Multivalued ?
- if so, how does an application (qmail, proftpd, whatever) determine which
userPassword to use ? Will it always use 'the first' ?

As usual, surprised and confused.

_Ace

website: http://www.suares.nl * http://www.qwikzite.nl