Re: slapd refuses to die

james liang wrote:
I am running openldap 2.1.22 on a redhat 8 box with replication turn on.  sometimes when i tried to stop slapd by doing: kill -HUP <pid>, the slapd refuses to die.  I ended up having to do kill -9.  Unfortunately when i do kill -9, the bdb database sometime gets corrupted in the process.

Any reason why a normal kill -HUP doesn't work consistently? I did verifed that there are no other clients apps using the slapd before I tired to kill it. I would like to avoid kill -9 since I have corrupted the bdb before.

Hi,

Don't blame me if I'm wrong, I'm not a Unix guru, but I have always been told that the signal to stop a process is TERM and not HUP

Why do you want to do a kill -HUP ?

François

-thanks
James