creating/populating a database from an LDIF file

Hi
I'm an  LDAP newb. I've  got an LDIF  file (see below), and  a running
slapd. I'm trying to create an LDAP database (I think that's the right
word) by running a command of the form "slapadd -l foo.ldif".
In particular, I need to write a slapd.conf entry that matches my LDIF
file.  Now,  for those of  you with your  fingers already on  the keys
r,t,f,  and m:  Yes I've  read the  docs on  openldap.org: OK,  it's a
tree-like structure, whose nodes are "objects" in the OOP sense of the
word. Fine. But  how do I create such a structure  (other than the one
given as an example)? If someone can  help me do this, I may even try
to write up some documentation for the next guy.

Now, my LDIF file looks like  the following, multiplied by a factor of
a few hundred. That is, you can think of the following as one entry of
a few hundred entries:

dn: uid=bobj,ou=People,o=cs.foo.edu
mail: bobj@cs.foo.edu
objectclass: top
objectclass: person
objectclass: organizationalPerson
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
cn: Bob Jones
uid: bobj
givenname: Bob
sn: Jones
facsimiletelephonenumber: +1 718 555 1234
userpassword: {crypt}
postaladdress: 1 Main Street$Suburbia, NY$USA$12345
roomnumber: 123
homepostaladdress:  234-1234 Pink St$Suburbia, NY$12345
homephone: 718-555-2345
telephonenumber: +1 718 718-555-3456
labeleduri: http://www.cs.foo.edu/~bobj

dn: nsLIProfileName=bobj, ou=Roaming, o=cs.foo.edu
objectclass: top
objectclass: nsLIProfile
nsliprofilename: bobj
owner: uid=bobj,ou=People,o=cs.foo.edu

Does that make sense? Imagine that this file fell from outer space and
landed at my feet (i.e. don't yell at me if it doesn't make sense, but
suggest an alternative.)

My slapd.conf  (the database definitions  section of it, at  any rate)
looks like this:

database        ldbm
suffix          "ou=People,o=cs.foo.edu"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=cs,dc=foo,dc=edu"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoided.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
# rootpw                secret
# rootpw                {crypt}ijFYNcSNctBYg
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd/tools. Mode 700 recommended.
directory       /var/lib/ldap
# Indices to maintain
#index  objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber,memberUid   eq
#index  cn,mail,surname,givenname                       eq,subinitial
# Replicas to which we should propagate changes
#replica host=ldap-1.example.com:389 tls=yes
#       bindmethod=sasl saslmech=GSSAPI
#       authcId=host/ldap-master.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM

That  probably   doesn't  make  sense.  It's   basically  the  default
slapd.conf  that comes  with the  RedHat9 openldap  package,  with the
uncommented  things written  by  me,  and some  stuff  I didn't  trust
commented out.

This is what happens next:

[root@okocim ldap]# slapadd -v -l userinfo.ldif
slapadd: could not add entry dn="uid=bobj,ou=People,o=cs.foo.edu" (line=17)

I'm running  my slapd with "-d  1" and I  don't see any errors  on its
console.

-chris