Proxy Ldap Backend for Ipswich Imail

I am trying to set up a central ldap server with metadirectories for a number
of Imail servers that maintain ldap user records with objectclass 'Domain'
and objectclass 'Person'. Main attributes are DomainName, uid, cn, mail, and
UserID.

I can query the Imail servers OK but I can't seem to get the schema right for
the central ldap server as it will not return any values.  Here is the result
of a query to the Imail ldap server:

-------------------snip
mailg# ldapsearch -x -H ldap://mail.hisdomain.tld -b "" "(uid=username)" mail
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope sub
# filter: (uid=username)
# requesting: mail
#

# username, mail.hisdomain.tld
dn: uid="username", DomainName="hisdomain.tld"
cn:
mail: username@hisdomain.tld

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1
-----------------------------snip

Trying to follow the examples in O;Reilly's LDAP System Administration (2003)
I come up with a slapd.conf of:

-----------------------------snip
database        ldap
suffix          ou=hisorg,dc=mydomain,dc=tld
uri             ldap://mail.hisdomain.tld/
suffixmassage   ou=hisorg,dc=mydomain,dc=tld
                ""
#binddn         uid=myusername,DomainName=hisdomain.tld
#bindpw         secret

map     attribute       uid             uid
map     attribute       cn              cn
map     attribute       mail            mail
map     attribute       *
map     objectclass     account         Person
map     objectclass     *
-----------------------------snip

Can't use DomainName=hisdomain.tld in suffixmassage as there is no local
equivalent.  Ldapsearch seems to do OK with -b "" so for query only it seems
like no base should have to be mapped.

Here is what happens:
-----------------------------snip
mailg# ldapsearch -x -b "" "(uid=username)" mail
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope sub
# filter: (uid=username)
# requesting: mail
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1

If there is an answer here, I haven't been able to stumble onto it.  Anyone
who can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jim Flowers<jflowers@ezo.net>