Re: Question about logging

I could tell you to put a dash (-) in your syslog.conf file so it
batches the writes to the log file and would reduce the performance
impact.

However, to do that I would have to admit that I had violated your
companies security policies by reading a piece of email that was not
addressed to me and that therefore I had no right to read.

Therefore, I shall not tell you that the correct syslog.conf file entry
is

local4.debug          -/var/log/slapd.log

Good Day,
  Frank

Today at 12:20pm, Dave Shepherd wrote:

> All,
>
>   I have a problem regarding the re-direction of the ldap logging using
> /etc/syslog.conf.
>
>   In a (very good) book I have "LDAP System administration" from
> O'Reilly it states that all debug logging information is logged using
> LOG_LEVEL4, and that adding the following line to /etc/syslog.conf will
> redirect this debug information as appropriate:
>
> local4.debug		/var/log/slapd.log
>
>   And it does, but I have a pretty serious (well at least to me)
> problem.
>
>   1. A simple ldapsearch time increases by some 49 seconds, basically
> resulting in failed authentication requests from my freeRADIUS server
> running on the same host.
>
>   As soon as I remove the syslog.conf entry and recycle the syslogd, my
> ldapsearch response times go back to a sub 1 second response.
>
>   This occurs on 2 servers:
>
> 	ldap1   = SuSE8.1
> 		  openldap2-2.1.4-26
> 		  openldap2-devel-2.1.4-26
> 		  openldap2-client-2.1.4-26
>
> 	radius1 = SuSE8.2
> 		  openldap2-2.1.12-44
> 		  openldap2-devel-2.1.12-44
> 		  openldap2-client-2.1.12-44
>

>   Any thoughts.
>
> TIA
>
> Dave
>

> IMPORTANT - this email and the information in it may be confidential, legally privileged and/or protected by law.  It is
> intended solely for the use of the person to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
> sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the
> information in any medium.  Please also delete all copies of this email and any attachments from your system.
>
> We cannot guarantee the security or confidentiality of email communications. We do not accept any liability for losses or
> damages that you may suffer as a result of your receipt of this email including but not limited to computer service or system
> failure, access delays or interruption, data non-delivery or mis-delivery, computer viruses or other harmful components.
>
> Copyright in this email and any attachments belong to Compass Group.  Should you communicate with anyone at Compass Group by
> email, you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.
>
> Nothing in this email shall be taken or read as suggesting, proposing or relating to any agreement concerted practice or
> other practice that could infringe UK or EC competition legislation.
> Compass Group, UK and Ireland Limited is a company registered in England and Wales (Company number 02272248) whose registered
> office is at Parklands Court, 24 Parklands, Birmingham Great Park, Rubery, Birmingham, West Midlands, B45 9PZ.  Compass Group
> UK & Ireland Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Compass Group PLC, registered in England and Wales (Company number
> [...]

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===