Re: [openldap 2.1.12] add a new index in database

Helene.Lastennet@alcatel.fr writes:

>      > ok but is it correct to use slapadd comand to add a new
>      index to an
>      > already existing database ?
>
>      No, slapadd adds entries to an existing database, while
>      slapindex
>      reindexes the database content.
>      But if you use slapadd for initital population of your
>      database, the
>      appropriate indexfiles, as defined in slapd.conf, are created.
>
> I use the slapadd command to restore my database using a ldif file
> resulting from the last valid "hot" backup (so it's like a big initial
> population)
> So if I understood what you told me, in this case the slapadd command
> enables to add entries (restore my database)
> and to index my database content with the new index too.
>
> To summarize, slapadd command enables to add entries and to index the
> added entries using the definition of the index listed in the slapd.conf
> True or false ?

True and false.

If you dump your database into an ldif file, either using slapcat or
any other tool, than completely destroy all database files, but not
the directory, edit slapd.conf to your requirements, than you can
slapadd your ldif file and all indices are set.
But if you only use slapadd to extend an existing database than only
the additional entries are being indexed with your new index, and that
may result in a somehow corrupted database.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Kluenter  | Systemberatung
Tel:040.64861967 | Fax: 040.64891521