How a client should handle the returned updateref ( was: Can sla ve forward a modify request to the Master ?)

>> I use are not able to deal with the updateref the received
>> from the slaver server.
>> E.g PHPLdapAdmin throw a error my Horde Adressbook (Turba) seems to
>> make nothing.

>Your applications may need some fixing then, since this is a pretty normal
>occurrence.

I try to read a bit about the client options in PHP and i found the
following
hint to handle the refferals. I hack the LDAPAdmin and add the option
to the connection.

ldap_set_option($ds, LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION, 3);
ldap_set_option($ds, LDAP_OPT_REFERRALS, 1);

but no difference apearm i still get a errormessage.

Does the LDAP_OPT_REFERRALS opetions is applicable to my case that
I receive a updateref from the replica, or it apply only to distributed
database ?

If it apply is it implmented in OpenLdap 2.0.23 ?

I would be also happy about some code that show a example how to
handle a modify request that catch the returned updateref.
PC, C++, Java or PHP sample would be perfect.
I googled a lot but i couldn't find a sample :(

Thanx Thorsten