Questions about OpenLdap specifications

About a year ago I was looking seriously at OpenLdap for our directory and registry.

I had several problems with it that caused us to finally choose Sun's directory 5.1
I'm still wondering if I was wrong, or if OpenLdap development has answered these problems.
I'm particulary interested that Stanford is deploying OpenLDAP.

1) It seemed that the ACL process was at the entry level not the attribute level. We needed to have a full set of attributes in the directory, and products such as Eudora getting just the allowed attributes not all of them. I was not able to get openldap to deliver a restricted set of attributes for a request for all attributes.

2) It seemed that when I changed the ACL, I needed to reload the database. Is it possible to change schema's and ACL's without reloading all of the data?

3) We need 24/7 registry (data for applications) and directory (White Pages). The Sun One dual master seems to provide that.

4) Openldap had some advantages. Open software has advantages, but in this case I couldn't see that they met out needs. I'm interested in hearing how close it might come now.

Albert Steiner Coordinator Distributed Computing Technology Support Services Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA a-steiner@northwestern.edu 847-491-4056