Annoying issue with loading DBs

I am experiencing an annoying issue with DBs after startup. Now that my DB corruption issue is resolved, certain DBs don't appear to be there until a failure occurs.

For example, after starting the server up and issuing an ldapsearch command, the result is 32 - No Such Object. The second search will often work, but not always. If it does not work, trying to re-add the root entry will make the server realize the root is present. The add fails but successive ldapsearch executions on that root are successful.

Anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions?

Particulars:
Debian
OpenLDAP version 2.1.22
LDBM with GDBM