Re: Schema generator

ext Michael Ströder (michael@stroeder.com) wrote:

> Back to original question:
> Most problems users are facing when creating schema is not the
> configuration syntax. It's rather a lack of understanding of basics like
> LDAP syntaxes, matching, inheritance, etc.. I already thought about
> implementing such a thing myself but I can't imagine how a GUI could really
> support a dumb user creating a good schema. Before implementing it one
> should have a look at the schema tools commercial vendors are shipping. I
> don't use these tools though...

Hi,

I agree completely. Producing an LDAP schema is a data modelling job. Data
modelling should be driven by use cases. Use cases can not be mapped
to a wizard, except for maybe the most basic ones. A good UML tool,
and some understanding of UML (and of course LDAP schema) will greatly
speed along the process.

I use (IBM) Rational Rose, but there are also free ones available, e.g.
Argon UML. And the added value here is that most system architects will
accept a UML model as the equivalent of "technical documentation".

BR,
--
mike