RE: [seeking help] unknown CA

RedHat's openldap rpms are extremely old, they still ship OpenLDAP 2.0.25.
The OpenLDAP 2.0 client library didn't do certificate verification by
default, which is why your Linux install "works" without any CA cert
configuration. It is working, but it's not providing any real security. Set
the TLS_CACERT in the OpenLDAP ldap.conf file. Don't use TLS_CACERTDIR unless
you've read the OpenLDAP Admin Guide and the OpenSSL docs and actually know
what you're doing.

  -- Howard Chu