ldab_bind error

I installed openldap-2.1.22 on my comp (slack 9) and got slapd running
following the guidlines of the quickstart document on openldap.org.  It
worked fine, but when I came back the next day it did not.

I tried running slapd and the search again
    ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
but it crashed with the error
    ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (81)

Running the search with debugging on, I get:
ldap_connect_to_host: TCP localhost:389
ldap_new_socket: 3
ldap_prepare_socket: 3
ldap_connect_to_host: Trying
ldap_connect_timeout: fd: 3 tm: -1 async: 0
ldap_ndelay_on: 3
ldap_is_sock_ready: 3
ldap_is_socket_ready: error on socket 3: errno: 111 (Connection refused)
ldap_close_socket: 3
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (81)

So, I tried killing slapd and starting it again. (I don't think this is good:
I had to 'killall -9 slapd' to kill the process.) Running slapd again this
time in debug mode, I got:
daemon_init: <null>
daemon_init: listen on ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
daemon: socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)
daemon: initialized ldap:///
daemon_init: 2 listeners opened
slapd init: initiated server.
bdb_initialize: initialize BDB backend
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.1.25: (December 19, 2002)
reading config file /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf

I've checked the mailing lists and tried starting the server using -h
ldap:// which gets rid of the "daemon: socket() failed errno=97
(Address family not supported by protocol)" error but doesn't change anything
with my ldapsearch.

Running netstat doesn't tell me anything about slapd or ldap listening
make test runs fine

It occured to me that I didn't kill slapd myself before restarting when I
first installed openLDAP.  Should that make a difference?  I read some stuff
about possible database corruption.. where would I check to find that?

Here's my slapd.conf file:

include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
pidfile         /usr/local/var/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/var/slapd.args
database        bdb
suffix          "dc=benshaw,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=benshaw,dc=com"
rootpw          secret
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data
index   objectClass     eq

I hope someone can help.