RE: scope: global and local stuff in openldap

Using OpenLDAP 2.1 I would use the "subordinate" keyword to connect the two
databases instead of a referral. If you were using OpenLDAP 2.2 I would
consider the possibility of using a caching proxy (back-meta) on the remote
site to connect to the global data, instead of using explicit replication.
This depends on whether there is a clear usage pattern of the global data at
the remote sites, so that the caching can be used to good advantage.

  -- Howard Chu