Re: client certificates -- howto?

The admin guide does a very good job describing how to configure client
certificates - once their already set up. There is not so much as a
description of the required objectclass/attribute to hold the public
cert. I would like authentication to be done in the same manner as SSH
using keys; every thing Ive read says that this is possible (and usualy
"strongly recommend"), but nothing describes how to do it.