NetMeeting Directory Help

I have to start by saying that this is my first venture into the lower levels of Linux and so far it is going well.  I am trying to setup a NetMeeting directory to replace a failing SiteServer implementation that our ASP does not want to support any longer.  I have Redhat 9.0 installed with the default options for a "Server".  Just to be sure I understood what was on the machine while I was walking through the NetMeeting HOWTO, I compiled and installed OpenLDAP 2.0.25 (which I read somewhere is the latest version that works with the NetMeeting Directory kit).

The make and make install for OpenLDAP went fine (using --enable-shell and --disable-debug), as well as copying all of the files from the NetMeeting directory kit (v1.2).  I patched the schema files as instructed in section 3.5, but I am a little unsure if I did the correct thing with the /usr/local/var/openldap-netmeeting directory.  I did a "chmod 777 /usr/local/var/openldap-netmeeting" thinking that would make it "world writeable", but I could be mistaken.

The other issue is that when starting the slapds, the first one does not work when using the user named "nobody" but if I use "guest" or "unknown" it seems to start.  I checked and the user "nobody" does exist according to the usermod command.  The second slapd seems to start just fine and ps -A lists them both as running.

The main problem in all of this is that nobody can connect to the directory using NetMeeting.  We have an office of all Windows XP Professional machines with service pack 1 trying to connect to this directory.  Are there some steps I'm missing or any suggestions of things to check?  Any help that this list can give would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Ryan Sinnwell
sinnwellr@weitz.com
Regional IT Engineer
The Weitz Company