replication credentials

Is it possible to put an encrypted password in the slapd.conf for the
replication account? It's doesn't seem to like this statement:

replica         host=replicahost.apple.com:389
                binddn="cn=replicator,o=Apple Computer"
                bindmethod=simple
                credentials={SSHA}qn1ASsCqSO4wUbZPRmgUc0e3eZgbACdE

and putting a clear text password in means that I expose an account that
basically has manager access to anyone who can read the slapd.conf file. So in
that case I might as well use the manager account for replication itself.

so what is the recommended way to set up a reasonably secure replication
environment?

thanks,

Gary
glavoy@apple.com