Bad search filter with parenthesis?

Good day,

I'm running into problems with trying to put parenthesis into a search
filter.

Using 2.1.22 on Red Hat 9, and using this demonstration filter:

(testattr=this(that))

I get back "Bad search filter".

However, the exact same query works fine under 2.0.27 .

Unfortunately, the directory that I'm querying has values with parenthesis
in them, and I need to be able to put them into the search filter.

Is this a bug, or some sort of protocol enforcement that wasn't done before?

If it's the latter, how can I perform this query?

Thanks,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP