Re: wildcard searches with spaces in search filter

At 10:08 AM 8/27/2003, Giridhar Raichur wrote:
>I am using Openldap 2.1.22 with Berkeley DB 4.1.25 on a RedHat 7.3
>server.Backend database is bdb.
>
>A query such as "ldapsearch -x '(cn=* martin *)'" returns results as if
>the filter were '(cn=*martin*)'.

This is because, per the LDAP technical specification, the
directory string " martin " and "martin" are equal per the
CN attribute's equality matching rule.

>How can I preserve the spaces in the search filter?

No.  The specification requires that leading, trailing,
and repeated spaces be ignored in this matching.

Kurt