Re: bindDN, Root DN, LDAP security

Jawed,

If you use SASL/GSSAPI, there is no need for a password in slapd.conf.

--Quanah

--On Wednesday, August 27, 2003 7:57 AM -0700 jawed abbasi <jabbasi@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello

I saw an string of  (LDAP Auth and User changing their Pasword), good
discussion, but couldn't really see the point.As no matter how secure you
are there is always a risk, I am not very concerned about the password in
file, I am concerned about password on network, since we have SSL/TLS,
network sniffing should also be minimised.
Getting back to my question, I haven't seen single slapd.conf  without a
bindDN anf bindpasswd and rootDN, I am not clear at all about the
difference between rootDN and bindDN.  second once my LDAP server is
populated, can I pick a CN or DN or UID from my LDAP database, and bind
as that user, without keeping bindDN password in slapd.conf.  I mean
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=navtechinc,dc=com" disable or coment this
in slapd.conf  and  rootdn    uid=replica,ou=system,dc=navtechinc, dc=com
enable this inslapd.conf and don't put passwd for this replica in
slapd.conf as replica is in databse and can be authenticated from there,
so why put rootdn password in files hashed or not hashed.