Re: ldap address book synchronizing problem

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 02:59  AM, chanka A. Perera wrote:

> hi all,
> i configured a open ldap server on RedHat 9 basically a addressbook.
> when i tryed to access from M$  outlook, connection was succuss
> but my problem is it does not show users when outlook loads and i can
> see
> users when i do a search, by name, even switch like a* show most of
> the
> users because most of users have "a" in there names.
> but it's not defaulty load the users when starting outlook like other
> addressbooks does..
> any idea why ?
>
> i went through http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/3310 tooo
> my config files are at following link
>
> http://202.51.137.42/ldap/
>
> first i config the slapd.conf then add the root.ldif,
> addressbook.ldif and finally several contact.ldif by
> the follwing command
> ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=dpit,dc=com" -W -f
> <abovefile.ldif>

Hi Chanka,

Sorry, I deleted the previous messages in this thread, so I am answering
to this one. I had a problem similar to yours. What I did was write a
short perl script that can convert the CSV export of the Outlook
pst-file to something resembling LDIF. You just need to give the wanted
attribute names on the first line of the exported CSV data and run the
script to get something usable. I have used this crude method for a few
of my users and it seems to work OK. It surely was more efficient than
writing a fulblown conversion tool for just a few users. Maybe it is
useful to you. You can find a description and a download link here:

http://huizen.dto.tudelft.nl/devries/perl/splitcsv_joincsv.html

Grx HdV

P.S. Comments, bugreports and feature request are welcome, but please
remember that it was just something to work around a problem.

P.P.S. Another poster wrote about the bad quoting behaviour of Outlook,
well he is right! I tried to fix it (and it even seems to work for me)
by adding an option to handle quotes in the script...