LDAP Query SlowDown

I have been experiencing a huge slowdown in processing
of LDAP queries.  It is taking as long as 30-45
seconds for users to be able to log in.  Other
commands that need to know user ids or group ids are
also taking longer.  Has anyone else had problems like
this?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have the following  packages installed:

[root@ldap /root]# rpm -qa | grep
openldap12-1.2.12-3
openldap-clients-2.0.7-14
openldap-servers-2.0.7-14
auth_ldap-1.4.5-1
nss_-149-1
openldap-2.0.7-14
openldap-devel-2.0.7-14

on Red Hat 7.0.

User's home directories are being mounted via NFS from
an automounter.  I've tried turning off the
automounter and creating local home directories.
Logins for accounts in the  database are still slow,
but local users are not.

We only have about 70 users, and there are only 11
machines using the server with LDAP on it.  The only
thing that I've notice that is different in th last
few days is that we are receiving very large amounts
of spam to our mail server (which is looking up user
via LDAP).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles