LDAP server with non-English (non-ascii) user names?

I want to test my LDAP client tool against an LDAP
server that has users with non-English (non-ascii)
user names. My goal is to query for a list of these
users, parse the result, and then output the foreign
characters. Can this be done? Is it even possible to
setup an LDAP server with inetOrgPerson entries that
have, say, Chinese user names? If so, should they be
stored in UTF-8 or UNICODE? Is there an accepted
standard for this?

Also, how should I peform my bind? Will an LDAP server
accept a non-ASCII username when binding?

Lastly, how would this work with non-simple binding
mechanisms, such as Kerberos? From what I've read,
kinit does not support non-English user names.

Thanks!
Dave