Re: BerkeleyDB version incompatible

Greg Wilson wrote:
David Hofer wrote:
configure: error: BDB: BerkeleyDB version incompatible

I have been pulling my hair out over this.

I had a similar problem building openLDAP on RH9

I feel your pain. I've learned from recent and similar experiences that the best thing for an OpenLDAP installation (and a few other common distributions) is to avoid letting certain RH default packages see daylight on my machines by de-selecting them on installation. In particular, for RH9:

db4-devel
db4-utils
cyrus-sasl-devel
cyrus-sasl-plain
openssl-devel
openldap-servers
openldap-clients
openldap-devel

You can also rpm -e them later if you missed them on OS installation. The OpenLDAP admin guide advises as much.

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin21/install.html#Prerequisite%20software

I know some other app dependencies may make this impossible for some, but if it's just a fear of manually installing these packages that's holding you back, that's silly. If you can download and install OpenLDAP, you can do the same for BDB, SASL, and OpenSSL. They're easier, actually.

I love RedHat! The fact that they offer you their installations of these packages is a gift, not a curse. However, in these cases I would recommend respectfully declining if you want to use the latest OpenLDAP releases.

Hope it helps.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com