RE: Openldap vs. IBM Directory Server

Title: RE: Openldap vs. IBM Directory Server

> From: Smits.Dolf
> Besides that, it is not a real ldapserver, but an ldap
> frontend to the DB2
> database (which you have to buy!) so the free of IBM is
> different to the
> free of IBM.

This is incorrect. The DB2 that comes with IBM's Directory Server is licensed (for free) for use with the Directory Server.

Questions along the line of "but we're an Oracle shop, can't we run IDS with Oracle?" pop up regularly. The response is to treat the DB2 backend like a black box and tune LDAP using IDS parameters.

I might equally say that OpenLDAP is not a real LDAP server, but just a front end to BDB. How many people here tune OpenLDAP by directly modifying the backend database? I wouldn't be surprised to discover that some do, but I suspect not a majority.

PJDM
--
Peter Mayne
Technology Consultant

The information contained in this email and any attachments to it:

(a) may be confidential and if you are not the intended recipient, any interference with,
use, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited; and

(b) may contain personal information of the recipient and/or the sender as defined
under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). Consent is hereby given by the recipient(s) to
collect, hold and use such information and any personal information contained in a
response to this email, for any reasonable purpose in the ordinary course of
Spherion's
business, including forwarding this email internally or disclosing it to a third party. All
personal information collected by Spherion will be handled in accordance with
Spherion's Privacy Policy. If you have received this email in error, please notify the
sender and delete it.

(c) you agree not to employ or arrange employment for any candidate(s) supplied in
this email and any attachments without first entering into a contractual agreement with
Spherion. You further agree not to divulge any information contained in this document
to any person(s) or entities without the express permission of Spherion.