Re: newbie building LDAP database

You are trying to add an entry for a suffix (o=companyname) that you
have not included a database for in your slapd.conf file and slapd is
telling you that it doesn't know where to put that DN because it doesn't
belong on your server and you haven't told it another server (a
referral) to send such requests to.

You probably want to change your DN to use the same suffix as the other
entries....

Today at 4:00pm, Greg Wilson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looked at the archieves etc but still can't work out what I am doing
> wrong!!! Can anyone help.  I have successfully installed openLDAP and
> have setup the database and the manager entry.
>
> Now I am trying to add some user details for email etc, but only the
> manager entry goes in as I get the following error when I try and use
> the organisational unit class.
>
> # ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk" -W -f
> new-users.ldif.orig
> Enter LDAP Password:
> adding new entry "dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk"
>
> adding new entry "cn=Manager,dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk"
>
> adding new entry "ou=MemberGroupA,o=companyname"
> ldapadd: update failed: ou=MemberGroupA,o=companyname
> ldap_add: Server is unwilling to perform (53)
>         additional info: referral missing
>
> Here is a sample of new-users.ldif.orig
> dn: dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: dcObject
> objectClass: organization
> o: companyname
> dc: in-addr
>
> dn: cn=Manager,dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organizationalRole
> cn: Manager
>
> dn: ou=MemberGroupA,o=companyname
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organizationalUnit
> ou: MemberGroupA
>
> dn: cn=Employee1,ou=MemberGroupA,o=compnayname
> ou: MemberGroupA
> o: companyname
> cn: Employee1
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: person
> objectClass: organizationalPerson
> objectClass: inetOrgPerson
> mail: employee1@companyname.co.uk
>
> Containers in sldap.conf file
> include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
> include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
> include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
> database        bdb
> suffix          "dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk"
> directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-companyname
> rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk"
> rootpw          {SSHA}that's a secret!!!
> index objectClass,uid                           eq
> index mail,givenname                    eq,subinitial
> index cn,sn,st                                  pres,eq,sub
>
> ldapsearch command following failure of ldapadd
> # ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk' '(objectclass=*)'
> # extended LDIF
> #
> # LDAPv3
> # base <dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk> with scope sub
> # filter: (objectclass=*)
> # requesting: ALL
> #
> # in-addr.zen.co.uk
> dn: dc=in-addr,dc=zen,dc=co,dc=uk
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: dcObject
> [...]

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===